Thursday, April 16, 2009

In the artist corner with : "Jane"

It's amazing what you find on your best friend's myspace page.
I had the opportunity to get in touch with a beautiful vocalist by
the name of "Jane" to talk to her about her musical influences and
also her current project "Hello Jane" I would like to thank Jane personally
for helping me and doing this interview....YOU GO GIRL!!!!!....lol



F110: So let me start off by asking, would you be so kind as to tell the public your name, along with the city & state that you represent?

Jane: Hello, I'm Jane! I represent the 7 Cities, VA and Hartford, CT... ALLLDAYY

F110: How long have you been doing music & how did you know that it was your calling?

Jane: Ha, that question always gets me. Well... I've been singing since I was three, writing since fourteen, and recording since fifteen.
There wasn't really a moment, a day, or even a month when I realized I wanted to make a career of what I love, it just sort of happened. More and more things started coming together for me musically and I figured the universe was trying to tell me something, so I went with it.

F110: Alrighty so I'm just going to jump into it, the EP "Hello Jane" first of all, what was your main inspiration behind this project?

Jane: Wow. Honestly, it was just the music. I LOVE the beats, and all of the words in the project were inspired by each beat. "Movies" came about because the strings in the beat reminded me of a Disney movie, "Flashback" talks about Cupid's shotgun because the beat has an effect that sounds like a gunshot, the "Lightspeed" beat sounded very futuristic to me, and "Him" constantly mentions a heartbeat because the bass sounds remind me of a heartbeat. I try to fit the words to the beat as much as possible, to make the song more powerful and real.

F110: What is your favorite track on the EP & why?

Jane: I always try to figure this one out for myself, haha. It's too difficult though. I chose those songs to put on the project because I absolutely love all of them. That's how it should be when you put out a product. I guess my favorite song changes with the date... tonight it's Lightspeed.

F110: Now, I read on a bio of yours that you've been influenced by your life in London, England. What effect does the culture of a different country have on the influence of your music?

Jane: Living out of the country and in a different culture really expands your musical knowledge. Its like, reading a book about a theory that you never knew existed before you read that book, if that makes sense, haha. There's almost no way for us to easily access music from other cultures here in the states, so it's difficult to get that wide variety of musical influence unless you really search, or live in a different country. When I lived in London, I disliked much of the popular music at first (I used to get so mad at my cousin for constantly playing it around me), but after a while of listening to it, I started to really appreciate the different characteristics that I had never been exposed to before.... like the crazy complicated bass lines of English garage (gar-idge) music. Little things like that influenced me, and it's those small pieces of each genre that I use to pull together and create something that's different, that's me. My music is everything I like, not the label I like.

F110: This is a creative question that I always like to ask. If your album were a season (spring, summer, winter, fall) what season would would it be & why?

Jane: Hmm... I'd say fall. In fall, you get to see unique colors that simply "wow" you. You never get to see them during any other time than those short couple months, and nothing in nature seems to look alike. My music is a mixture of all things that are beautiful to me. It is uncommon and diverse.

F110: Where do you see yourself 5yrs from now (goals, music)?

Jane: Signed to a major label, working, evolving, and reaping the success from my first studio album ;)
Oh! And living in a cute apartment in Manhattan with a Yorkie as my companion.

F110: Other than the "Hello Jane" EP is there any up & coming projects that are coming up for you in the near future?

Jane: Ha, nothing that's named yet. I'm always working on new music, whenever there's a flow of really good stuff, I'll package it up and slap a title on it for you all :)

F110: And finally, if you could work with 3 artist & 3 producers, who would they be & why?

Jane: LUPE FIASCO - because he's everything I need in an MC
CHESTER FRENCH (as artists and producers) - because I love them and their nonexistent senses of humor.
DAEDELUS - because his style varies so much and the music is consistently brilliant
DRAKE - because he's real, and I would like to thank him for that
THE NEPTUNES - because they always inspired me and I owe them a lot
PUSHA T - because it would be a happy ending


Here's the link for the album if you haven't already copped it.

DOWNLOAD

No comments: